Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Racing in a new land...

A few weeks ago, I decided that it would be fun to race against some new people in a new place. The result? A trip to New Jersey to race the USGP of Cyclocross at Mercer Park. Regrettably, I did have to miss the Shedd Park race.

Much to my relief, I wasn't the only New Englander in this new land. HUP United was well represented by Mike Zanconato, Josh Jamner, Kenny Ambach and more. Cambridge Cycle sent a strong contingent that finished in the top-20, including a strong top-5 by Jeremy Dunn.

After two days of racing, I'm beat. I'm happy with the results I earned and had a blast racing in the tough conditions Sunday. I think I wore a Chris Horner type grin for the entire race, resulting in the consumption of copious amounts of mud. My drivetrain is less than happy with me though. Turkey day will allow me to give it the spa treatment ahead of Sterling.

Now for some general wisdom gleaned from my travels:
- The Garden State Parkway is not fun during rush hour.
- Flyovers are freaking awesome. Just don't fall off or slide down it on your ass. They are the only course feature where you are as fast as the pros.


- Locate the Dunkin Donuts before heading to the race. If you fail to do so, keep an eye out and execute action hero driving moves when you see one.
- Staging by random sort is cool. Gives slackers like me a shot at a good starting position.
- Starting guns; cool but bad. I thought someone had been shot. Others thought a tire exploded. I don't think anyone knew that we were supposed to go.
- Bring your own coffee. Even the ever trustworthy Dunkin Donuts will let you down once you travel far from its homeland.
- Pros are fast, and cheering them on can:
- Make them go fast
- Yell at you
- Crash
- Margaritas and burritos make for good recovery, but only in moderation.
- If you're going to pass, DO NOT pass then let a gap go. That just pisses people (me) off.
- Long sandpits suck, but decide races.

4 comments:

josh said...

gettin in on the bloggin action?

i still think we should write to wicks/trebon and offer our "services" for a nominal fee...

you summed up the weekend quite well actually....you did miss the fact that cake is a neccessary recovery food though.

Steve said...

It looked like you had some really good results down there in the 2/3, Good Job and congrats. You gonna be at Sterling and Palmer?

Matt Simpson said...

Bail Poppy,
Welcome to blog central. My season has ended but see you in the spring. You a 3 on the road yet? Tell Spaz (Mike Sab) I say 'hey'...
Mats VanFrits(z)
Hup Hup

BTW - Nice freak'n job in NJ.

Chris said...

Yep. Joining el blogosphere.

Thanks for the compliments on the racing in NJ.